Sunday, March 2, 2008

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

Today would be Theodor Seuss Geisel's 104th birthday (thanks to Katrina for the reminder)! So, take a little time today to read! Even if it isn't a Dr. Seuss book - I think he would understand.

I, and most of you as well, grew up on HOP on POP and Green Eggs & Ham. Dr. Seuss books were my entry into a lifetime of reading. In college I wrote a paper on Dr. Seuss - using mostly biographies written for children. My friend, Michelle, bought me The Seuss The Whole Seuss and Nothing but the Seuss for my 30th birthday because she knew of my undying love for The Seuss! If you haven't read it you should - it is a "visual biography" of Seuss - not only of his more well known children's books but of his adult cartoons and documentaries for the U.S. Army and advertising. Did you know that Seuss won the Academy Award for Best Documentary in 1947?

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

If I had to narrow it down my favorite Dr. Seuss books would have to be (this is NOT a comprehensive list, as I don't know of a Dr. Seuss book that I don't like):
Another fun fact the books written/illustrated by Theo. LeSieg are by Dr. Seuss himself. (LeSieg is his last name backward).

Here are a few fun Seussical sites to enjoy!
So grab a book, whip up some Green Eggs and Ham (like Katrina - great!) and cuddle in for some reading time!

No comments: