Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oh My Stars

"Oh My Stars" by Lorna Landvik is our book club's February pick. I finished it today & overall, it's a great book. It's set in the 1930's & 1940's, mainly, and is the story of Violet Mathers. She's not beautiful, and she's not wanted by her family. She does have a gift and that is sewing & designing clothes. Violet loses her arm in accident at the sewing factory where she works & decides that she has nothing left to live for and heads off to commit suicide. On her way, she meets many people, namely Kjel (pronounced "Shell") who forever change her life. The book talks a lot about racism & music ... and reminds those of us young ones what those before us had to deal with.
- - - - - - - - - -
I grew up in Southern California & have dated boys/men of every different color & shape. In fact, I've probably dated more guys who were NOT white than guys who were. I married a man who isn't white & frankly, I don't know if I ever even noticed he wasn't white until someone else said something. It's hard to imagine that, in the days of this book, it would be a problem.

No comments: