Friday, January 9, 2009

I haven't done a Booking through Thursday post for...a long time. I am going to try to do more this year. I think they are interesting and constantly go read the questions and people's responses. And, yes, I do know it isn't Thursday...better late than never (or something like that).

It’s a week or two later than you’d expect, and it may be almost a trite question, but … what were your favorite books from 2008?

I have read so many good books this year. Most of them I have blogged about here. A few still need to be blogged! I took a little time and went back through this blog, my book journal, and Good Reads and came up with my top five. Those with * next to the title will take you to the link where I reviewed/gave my opinion on them.


1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - I have to say that this was probably the best book I read in 2008. I read it in December and didn't get a chance to blog about it, however I highly recommend it. It was a beautiful and well written story.


2. Change of Heart, by Jodi Picoult - Another hit by Jodi Picoult. I loved this book. It really made me think and question. And I saw her for the third time for an author talk/book signing. She is an amazing speaker!


3. Twilight* (the series), by Stephenie Meyer - Seriously, I'm not even going to say anything except I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these books! (there are three discussed here. I read the fourth, enjoyed it and still love a vampire!)


4. Bright Lights Big Ass*, by Jen Lancaster (actually all three of her books, but I think this one, the middle one is my favorite - if I have to pick!) - Funny and real.


5. The Faith Club*, by Priscilla Warner, Ranya Idliby, and Suzanne Oliver - if you read no other reviews read this one. It really captured my attention. A snippet from my review: "It is a fascinating read about faith, friendship, and the power of open, honest discussion leading to soul-searching and personal growth."




1 comment:

Katrina W. said...

LOVED Change of Heart and also The Faith Club (I read both because of your recommendations).

I've got The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society on HOLD at the library right now (although I'm #415 of 500-something on the wait-list!) since someone else told me it was great! Also got Jen Lancaster's books on hold because of your reviews.

AND, I'm afraid to red the Twilight series. You've said a few times that you CANNOT put them down, and I already have a problem with that (with most books...) Although... I may as well get on the Holds list for them since it's insanely loooonnngg as well!

Thanks to you and Cheryl for all the great books I've read this year, that I wouldn't have known about otherwise!