Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thirteen Reasons Why

I read this book, Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher the other day. I was very impressed with this young adult novel. I had seen it at Barnes and Noble several times, wrote down the title and finally, finally got around to reading it. I'm glad I did.

Here is a synopsis that I grabbed from the Thirteen Reasons Why site (love the interactive map/tapes on the site. if you have time go check it out):

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers (and I would add adult readers as well).

I so enjoyed this book. It was well written. The message was strong and clear. I could feel with Clay and for Hannah. It made me think about how my actions may affect another person. Strong and vibrant. A wonderful read.

Happy Reading.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I read this book too... Kelcee brought it home from school and I needed something to read so I snuck it to my room for a late night read...

Isabell Kiral said...

I have also read this book many a time. I will also suggest you that you should also read this book for your knowledge because this is an interesting book and you will find it very good for you. Coursework writing services.