Thursday, August 28, 2008

Summer Reading

I picked up Summer Reading by Hilma Wolitzer at Target earlier this summer. I finally picked it up and had a chance to read it. It was a quick read. Definitely a "summer read" as the title suggests.

Quite honestly I had a hard time with this book. While I read it quickly it was mostly to get to the end so it would be over and with a hope that the story would improve. I just didn't feel it. I didn't connect with any of the characters, the story felt a bit disjointed, and the literary connection that I thought was going to take place just didn't.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this book which pains me as I really, really wanted to like it. I wanted the references to great literature to move me to want to read more classics. I wanted the characters to change or understand themselves better. I had expectations that just weren't met.

No comments: