Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Month of Summer

The first thing that drew me to the book, A Month of Summer, by Lisa Wingate was the cover. I mean look at it...this is a fantastic cover! I was browsing at Barnes & Noble and was immediately drawn to this book.

I had a hard time getting into this book. I found it to be slow and, for lack of a better word, a bit boring. I was able to predict pretty much everything that was going to happen and quite honestly the characters didn't appeal to me at all. At first I empathized with Rebecca due to her father leaving her at age twelve. I understand the difficulty in dealing with abandonment as a child. What turned me off from her was her complete lack of substance as an adult. Her lack of being real.

While the reviews of this book used words such as "heartfelt," "emotional," and "moving." I can see how the story could be all those adjectives, however how the story was told didn't live up to those expectations.

So, for me, I was disappointed in this book. Would I read another by this author? Sure, I might give her another shot. Would I recommend this book? I don't think so. It was easy. It was quick. However, it wasn't terrific and there are a lot of terrific books out there to take up your time.

No comments: